About Me

My photo
I'm a guy, i like music, i play video games...i think that's it...

Monday, August 18, 2008

Musically-Random

So as everyone knows (all thos who know me anyway) i love, not like, music. Listening to it, playing it (if i know how), and even watching it. And lately i've been listening to alot of random songs, mostly for nostalgic reasons. Certain ones remind me of a place, or a person, or a time that i miss or wish i could experience again. For example: A Decade Under The Influence by Taking Back Sunday always reminds me of a week spent in Upstate New York with my cousin, which is something that i wish i could go back to very much.

Music means something different to everyone, i mainly focus on the lyrical part of it, mainly because lyrics can make or break a song for me. If a song is catchy, thats good, but if its lyrics don't mean anything, whats the point? Unless its Weird Al or a random blink-182 song, i like my music to mean something. Most lyrics are about girls, or relationships, or heartbreak and this is easy to understand, seeing as how these are some of the most influential subjects out there. However, when someone can pull a random verse out of nowhere about something completely different than the usual subjects, i find myself thinking in awe "Why can't i write something like that?"

Lyrics are important, but without the music backing it, they're just poems. Which brings me to something else that bugs me: people who are completely ignorant of lyrics. Most songs nowadays have their meanings in their lyrics, and when someone writes a song, they want their message heard and its almost insulting when someone takes such a thing and takes it as something that isn't worth their attention. Sure, a catchy tune or a mellow ballad is always fun to see, but if you ignore the meaning to a song, whats to point of listening to it? It actually annoys me to no end when i ask someone what they think a song means and their answer is "I don't know, i just like the music." Don't sing something unless you either know what it means or know that it means something. Or just don't sing it around me.

Wow...that was a good rant...don't really know why i wrote it, just bored.
Seeya next time
-Stash Out

No comments:

Post a Comment